Why Include a Countdown in your Course?
According to the American Psychological Association, a full 20% of the population are chronic procrastinators who put off decisions and tasks in all areas of their life.
That's why we've built urgency-building features like custom countdowns into Xperiencify -- to encourage students to take action and consume your content within the timeframe of your program.
We've proven that adding a countdown timer to your Course will help powerfully motivate students to take the action they need to take.
When you add one, you'll be amazed at how much more will get done, and we always include a countdown in our in-house membership sites so the student always know much time is left in the course they purchased.
IMPORTANT: When the countdown hits zero, they don't lose access to the course. The countdown simply gets hidden.
Here's an example of what a countdown looks like:
The 2 Kinds of Countdowns
If you choose to use a countdown in your Course, we have 2 types: "Evergreen" and "Live".
- "Evergreen" -- if you have a course students are able to join at any time. In cases like this, you may want to give your students a fixed amount of time to complete your course, and it should start counting down from the moment they join
- "Live" - when you want to count down to one specific, common point in the future for all students. This works well if you have a cohort of students joining at the same time, or around the same time
Customizing Your Countdown
Countdowns are always shown at the very top of on your Course Home Page.
Here's how to customize your countdown:
- From the Courses page, click on the Course you wish to customize
- Click on Step 4: Customize Your Course Pages
- You'll see a collection of pages available for you to edit/customize or simple preview. Click on Course Home Page
- Click on the Countdown at the top of the page
- You'll see a popup that looks like this:
- Make sure the Show the Countdown toggle is set to on/green, and choose your preferred Countdown Mode
- Once selected, configure your date/time timing options.
Some Countdown Examples
Here's an example of an "Evergreen" Countdown that will countdown to a point exactly midnight PST at 6 weeks after a student joins.
Here's an example of an "Live" Countdown that will countdown to November 1st, 2020 at 8pm PST.
Using the Countdown to trigger an Experience for your Students
For example, you might send an email or SMS message to a student three days before their countdown hits zero.
Important: Your countdown must be set to “Show the Countdown,” in order for the “Time Remaining” Trigger to be available in the dropdown menu when you create an automation in Step 5.
If you’ve set your countdown to “Show,” and you still don’t see the “Time Remaining” Trigger in Step 5, refresh your screen and the option should appear.