Great courses have engaged students, and we're serious about giving you the tools nobody else does to keep your students engaged and taking action.
In this article you'll learn how tags allow you to automatically create "buckets" of students based on their activity, which in turn make it easy to automatically send relevant, appropriate communication to engage them and bring them back to your course more often, so they take more action and get better results.
And the key word here is "automatically" -- because you have better things to do with your time than waste it in a CRM wondering what your students are doing.
What Is Tagging and What's It Good For?
Whenever a student does something in your membership site, you can tag them, allowing you to further customize their experience, create reports, and export.
- Bill opened your course. Tag as "Active"!
- Derek is only one week away from finishing the course. Tag as "Hot prospect for next product"!
And you can even tag them when they DON'T do something in your membership site:
- Janet hasn’t logged in for 2 weeks. Tag as "Slipping Away".
With tags, you'll be able to identify your stars, your over-achievers and your biggest action-takers -- those students most likely to get incredible results with your course and want to buy from you again.
And on the flipside, you can quickly see who's struggling, who's falling behind, and who's not logging in.
Imagine what you can do with information like this -- info that's usually hidden in other membership site platforms.
Exactly -- you'll be able to create customized experiences for each bucket of student, intentionally designed to deepen their engagement with your course, increase the action they take, and amplify their results.
Getting Started With Tagging
First, you'll need to create the tag you need.
- Go to your Account and click on Tags
- Next, add your tag. For example, you could make a tag for students who haven't logged in for two weeks or longer, and call that tag "Slipping Away".
- Next step is to set things up so that tag gets automatically applied to those students who haven't logged in for 2 weeks or more.
- Open the course you're working on and head to Step 5: Add the Secret Sauce.
- Scroll down to "Experience Engine" and click the "Create New" button and then choose "Create From Scratch"
- Choose "No Login" from the Starting Trigger droplist. (Hint: this is what starts the Experience running!)
- Next, choose the amount of time to wait before marking a student as "Slipping Away". (In this example, I chose 2 weeks as the timeframe before the Experience begins to run.)
- Next, click the "Add" button to create the Experience. You'll see this in your page:
- Click the "+" button and click "Add a Tag"
- Next, choose the tag to apply to your student, and click "Add"
- Here's how it will look once the tag is added to your Experience:
Next, you're free to add emails, SMS messages, delay timers, automated FB group posts, webhooks, or even add/remove more tags which can, in turn start other Experiences for you.
This is a simple example of how to use tagging to create the kind of experience for student who are slipping away that's likely to bring them back to your course.
Filtering Students By Tag
Now that you're tagging your students, you may want to sort, filter, export or otherwise work with those students in your CRM.
To do that, head over to your Students page and click on the Student Tag option and select the tag to filter on:
And once filtered, you can select all, and perform bulk operations on them like Delete, Export to CSV, Post to Webhook, Add or remove another tag, or add to an Experience.
Adding a Tag to a Student Manually
NOTE: When working with tags, if you add more than one tag to a "show/ hide visibility block", the condition will apply if the student has ANY one of the tags.
For example, if you had a block to "Show Visibility" for people with these tags:
... the block will be visible if students have ANY of those tags